The Missionaries Arrives, 1889Come and experience joy in the Lord with our choir in praise and worship sessions.
1910, The Fondation Stone is LaidBetween 1975 and 1988 they founded other out stations in other suburbs of Nairobi City.
1993, 75th AnnivesaryPlaque laid to celebrate 75th Anniversary. 1908 - 1983
The Year 1949Foundation Stone laid on the 31st March 1950
Sunday 29th July 2001Description
6th June 199915th General Assembly
30th November 2008Celebrating a Century of Ministry 1908 - 2008
The Old ChurchP.C.E.A St. Andrew's Parish Old Church
Scenic ViewSt. Andrews Church
St Andrews Parish has a total of 29 Elders Districts spread all over the suburbs of Nairobi City according to the spread of 4000 communicant members of the church. Between 1910 and 1956, St. Andrews Church constituted the Overseas Presbytery of the Church of Scotland. In 1956, the united Presbyterian Church of East Africa (PCEA) was formed putting together the Overseas Presbytery of the Church of Scotland centered in St. Andrews Church, Nairobi. A partnership with the Church of Scotland was however retained with the senior minister coming from the Church of Scotland and a concordant of St. Andrews Church being appended to that of PCEA. The first African Senior Minister of the parish was installed in 1975 and the separate constitution of St. Andrews removed by the General Assembly in 1988, thus making St, Andrews but one of the ordinary parishes of the church.
One of the greatest contributions of St. Andrews Church to date has been in the expansion of the PCEA within the city of Nairobi and its environs. Between 1975 and 1988 they founded other out stations in other suburbs of Nairobi City. Those stations have now grown to autonomous parishes compelling the General Assembly create Milimani Presbytery that is mainly composed of parishes cropping out of St. Andrews Parish. On 8th December 2013, Milimani north Presbytery was further divided into Milimani North and Milimani South.
Elders Districts are spread over the St. Andrew’s Suburb. An Elder is responsible for looking after church members who reside in their Elder District, and for expanding God’s kingdom in that District. In this role, the Elder is assisted by Church Deacons and Deaconesses for that District. The Elders do their work in liaison with, and as a team with, the clergy. The Pastoral team is supported by employee evangelists and other staff.
The Church has been active in spreading the gospel in Sultan Hamud and has helped the founding of eight congregations. The area is primarily semi-arid and inhabited by people of Maasai ethnicity whose major economic system is nomadic pastoralism. This is therefore an area with daunting challenges of development in all spheres besides preaching the gospel. The community is in need of health care, education and because of the low rainfall situation, food relief at least once every five years or so.
In response to other social problems facing Nairobi City, the congregation also runs Hawa Children’s Home, catering for former street children. The Woman’s Guild have in addition to other callings in the church recently founded a home for vulnerable children in the outskirts of Nairobi. All these projects are undertaken by faith and any support to either of them is always greatly appreciated.